A controversial Brit who has been branded a runaway ‘Isis bride’ is back in the UK and enjoying a benefits-funded life– more than a decade since she first made headlines after fleeing the country with her children.

Natalie Bracht, 45, has always denied being an ISIS fighter, and is now reportedly living on a barge having being repatriated to the UK amid the coronavirus pandemic.

She was previously staying at a £44-a-night Travelodge, The Mirror reports.

Before Covid-19, Ms Bracht had been living in Germany – where she was born on an army base and is a dual citizen – but she has been back in the UK since April.

She has been in the spotlight since 2008 when she ran away from home in Sunderland with her then-five daughters, as she had fears her kids would be taken in to care.

Ms Bracht has denied she joined ISIS despite years of accusations to the contrary

She was later tracked down in Munich, Germany, and her kids were removed from her care – but she later made headlines again in 2014 amid concerns she had moved to Syria following converting to Islam and later headlines linked her to the ISIS terrorist network.

Now back in the UK, Ms Bracht has claimed Universal Credit, has hopes of making a living as a busker – and denies she was ever a member of ISIS.

She told The Sunday People that reports from 2018 which suggested she had joined Islamic State in Syria were untrue.

Previous reports have suggested Ms Bracht – who is a dual citizen of the UK and Germany as her father is Scottish ex-paratrooper John Brown and her mother is a German – married IS fighter Celso Rodrigues Da Costa, 31, in Syria in 2014.

And she has also been accused of being among a group of Western women held in Kurdish-controlled camps in northern Syria.

Ms Bracht has been making headlines since 2008 when a search was launched as she fled the UK with five of her children

However, she has admitted being involved with controversial campaign group Cage – who previously referred to British IS executioner Jihadi John as a “beautiful young man” – where she says she worked as an interpreter.

She told The Sunday People they string of headlines about her over the years has: “affected my family. I’ve been treated like a terror suspect.”

“It looks like I have to have a new identity and the stories must be put straight.

“It’s not for me. I can live with this. I have accepted I am a full-time terror suspect without conviction.

“It either breaks you or makes you stronger. In my case it has made me stronger.”

Ms Bracht says she was “interrogated” when she landed in the UK on 3 April after she was granted passed to the UK from Frankfurt after visiting the British consulate in Dusseldorf.

She said: “They were asking me about what I thought about Brexit, how I think about elections, what I think about vaccines.

“They asked me where I had stayed in Syria. I had to tell them a couple of times, ‘Guys, I wasn’t in Syria.’”

Through her work with Cage, Ms Bracht is believed to have been given access to documents relating to Anwar ­al-Awlaki, a radical American Muslim cleric of Yemeni descent, who was killed in a US drone strike in Yemen on 30 September 2011.

Mr al-Awlaki had been linked to a series of attacks and plots across the world, including the 9/11 atrocity in the US, before he was taken out in the strike.

While Ms Bracht has also expressed sympathy for teenage ISIS bridge Shamima Begum who she claims was “brainwashed on the internet,” and “should be felt with by child protection.”

Another of the mum-of-nine’s controversial contacts is believed to be Pierre Vogel, a 41-year-old who converted to Islam in 2001 who is considered one of Germany’s most prominent Islamist preachers.

The Sunday People adds: “Tasnime Akunjee, Natalie’s legal ­representative who also represents Begum, yesterday said he was looking at a possible defamation claim against a US firm that is said to have published her name as a terror suspect.”