An abusive boyfriend has been jailed after luring a woman to a hotel where he attacked her following a mystery fall from the fifth floor of a tower block.
Darren Edwards, 23, pretended to be someone else in phone messages, Birmingham Crown Court heard.
The attack came after she survived the fall on August 31 last year which left her in an induced coma, reports Birmingham Live.
Police and emergency services were called to find the 29-year-old woman lying at the bottom of a tower block in Rubery, Birmingham.
Edwards had emerged from the block and tried to give his ex-partner CPR as the woman had critical injuries.
The woman had no recollection of what had happened and Edwards was never charged in relation to the tower block fall.
Police later found a series of text messages Edwards had been sending to the victim between August 18 and 31.
When quizzed the defendant said, following a conversation, he had gone round to his former partner's flat with a bottle of champagne.
They had chatted and drank together but had found something on her phone which "upset" him.
There was an argument "and the next thing he knew she was outside," he claimed.
Birmingham Crown Court was told that in September last year Edwards was handed a 12-month community order by city magistrates after admitting breaching a restraining order.
It heard that six months later, again in breach of the order, Edwards had posed as someone else during a series of messages with the woman.
She agreed to meet and it was only when she arrived at a hotel in Perry Barr, she discovered it was the defendant she had been messaging.
Edwards told her he just wanted to talk and she agreed to go to the room he had booked.
But he again went through her phone before repeatedly punching her in her face, causing a gash which led to a permanent scar.
He also slapped her again when he tried to leave and blocked her way, said Amrisha Parathalingam, prosecuting.
Edwards, who admitted breaching a restraining order, assault, possessing cannabis and assaulting an emergency worker, was jailed for three years.
In passing sentence, Judge Heidi Kubic said: "You had engaged in a short relationship with this complainant which ended in October 2018. However thereafter you did not move on."
She said that a restraining order had been made in July 2019 after he had broken into the victim's property and assaulted another person.
The judge said by Christmas he was breaching the order again and that it was a particularly aggravating feature that he had used a false name.
She said the psychological impact had been significant on the victim who said in a statement that she had been forced to move and that what happened had "thoroughly changed her life."