A bakery has been shut down after inspectors found it in "filthy" conditions littered with mouse droppings on "every single piece of equipment".
Khalid Hussain, 48, owner of Fine Bakers, was forced to pay more than £3,600 in fines and costs after being charged with a string of food hygiene offences.
An inspection in January last year revealed the premises were left in a state which left Hussain "deeply ashamed".
Bradford and Keighley Magistrates Court heard how inspectors found Hussain working at the site in Bradford, West Yorkshire, wearing a filthy ripped overcoat.
Hussain told inspectors he was only developing samples to send out to businesses to get the bakery off the ground.
But the court saw receipts found at the business - one for 550 kg of ingredients and another for 24 litres of artificial cream - which suggested the business was, in fact, mass-producing baked goods.
It was later found the businesses had been supplying between 20 to 25 cafes and other food businesses in Bradford.
Hussain, 48, pleaded guilty to seven charges, ranging from not ensuring food preparation equipment was clean to failure to keep records of where food was being bought from and sold to.
He was fined £320 for each individual offence, which added up to £2,240, as well as paying £1,345 costs and a £34 surcharge.
The business was issued with a prohibition notice, effectively shutting it down.
Presiding Justice Glen Armstead said: "It is fair to say that the pictures don't seem to show minimal mouse droppings. They are on every single piece of equipment.
"You've tried your best and gone to college to obtain qualifications.
"However, as your defence says, things possibly got on top of you when offers of support were retracted. That has been your downfall."
Prosecutor Harjit Ryatt told the court that the business, based in a single storey industrial unit, was inspected on January 16 last year.
Mr Ryatt said: "Officers found a large number of mouse droppings in the kitchen. There were also mouse droppings on the shelving.
"They found a white plastic tub of nutmeg that also contained an unidentified dropping and a large, dead spider."
Cooking equipment, such as a Kenmore mixer, was filthy and a food processor was "caked in dirt".
Mr Ryatt added: "A non-working fridge contained mixing bowls containing hardened chocolate. Sugar solution was in a bowl with a wooden spoon that had gone black with mould."
On January 24 inspectors returned and found the defendant at the site with pest control workers and a man called Mr Ali, who officers were told would be taking over the business.
The premises was found to be in a much better condition, with the issues resolved, and it was allowed to re-open. Hussain is no longer involved in the business.
Mr Ayub, representing Hussain, said his client set up the business in June 2018 after completing a food hygiene and production course at Leeds City College.
"This was a lifetime achievement for him," Mr Ayub said.
"It is unfortunate for him to be in a position like this after so many years of training for something he was excited and hopeful would be a success."
Others had offered to support Hussain with his business, but some of these offers were later retracted and eventually it was "just him taking care of everything".
"No one was helping him and he was desperately trying to save his business," Mr Ayub said.
The court heard he was already in negotiations to sell the business when the inspection took place.
Councillor Sarah Ferriby, Bradford Council's portfolio holder for healthy people and places, said the council wants to help business owners succeed but has no choice but to take legal action if there is a health risk to the public.