A busy town centre department store has been evacuated after it received a bomb threat.

Police have closed Wood Street and Kingston Bridge in both directions following the incident in Kingston, London.

The department store contacted Met Police at around 9.47pm on Wednesday, October 28, following the threat.

Police have said the incident is not believed to be terror related.

A Met Police spokesperson said: "At approximately 9.47pm on Wednesday, October 28, police were contacted by a department store at Wood Street, Kingston where a bomb threat had been received.

"The store has been evacuated and London Ambulance Service are in attendance as a precaution. There have been no reported injuries.

Shoppers have been evacuated

"A number of closures, including Kingston Bridge, are in place while officers search the premises. Enquiries continue.

"This incident is not believed to be terror related."

Residents have been taking to social media to report the police cordon which is now in place.

One wrote in a tweet: "Bomb threat in Kingston and Kingston Bridge closed off."

Another wrote: "Area around John Lewis in Kingston has been cordoned off by the police because of a suspected bomb in the building.

The store has been evacuated

"Took me ages to find a way back home, and I live less than five minutes from the store."

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 10.01am today to reports of an incident off Wood Street, Kingston.

“We dispatched an incident response officer and our hazardous area response teams (HART).

“We are working with other emergency services and remain at the scene.”

The Daily Star Online understands the London Fire Brigade has not been called to the incident.