Meghan Markle and Prince Harry refused to give Buckingham Palace advance notice the duchess was in labour, it has been claimed as a new book about their lives is published.
It led to confusion and an awkward blunder when the announcement was made to the public that the couple's son Archie Harrison had been born.
A statement confirming the Duchess of Sussex had gone into labour was shared by the Palace at 2.04pm on Monday May 6, 2019.
However just 40 minutes later, another announcement on Harry and Meghan's Sussex Royal Instagram account revealed she had given birth - eight hours earlier.
Meghan and Harry welcomed son Archie at at 5.26am and by the time the news was revealed to the world the family of three were already comfortably back at their home, Frogmore Cottage in Windsor.
Fans and the media were left bewildered and the Palace issued an apology for "technical difficulties" .
The couple's Head of Communications Sarah Latham also described the incident as a "colossal tech failure".
However, it has now emerged the couple seemingly chose not to inform the Palace as part of their quest to take control of their lives as tensions boiled between them and royal aides.
Meghan and Harry had begun to become increasingly determined to dance to their tune and stay in control - even if it meant breaking tradition.
Weeks before Meghan's due date, it was announced the pair would not be holding a huge photocall on the steps outside the hospital after the baby had been born.
They also refused to reveal where the Duchess would give birth.
And after the arrival of Archie, the pair reportedly decided on a day for his christening before informing the Queen and checking if she could attend.
One source source told The Telegraph : "There was certainly this growing unease among staff, thinking - they are acting as if they are bigger than this institution, who the hell do they think they are?".
It meant the 94-year-old Monarch had to miss the historic moment involving her great-grandson at Windsor Castle due to a "diary clash".
The Queen, who also missed Prince Louis' christening, had that day been scheduled to spend the weekend in Sandringham with Prince Philip, who also didn't attend.
She was said to be "happy" for the couple and their plans.
A source said at the time: “The Queen has had the US state visit and Holyrood Week in quick succession and has had this weekend with the Duke of Edinburgh in her diary for a long time.”
Meghan, 38, and Harry, 35, also sparked blacklash for their decision to keep Archie’s baptism private after it emerged the taxpayer paid a sum of around £2.4million to renovate their family home.
Prince William and Kate Middleton allowed the media to record the Royal Family arriving at the christenings of their three children, George, Charlotte and Louis.
But the Sussexes only released selected images taken by their photographer.
The attendees included Kate and William, Charles and Camilla, Meghan's mother Doria Ragland, as well as Princess Diana's sisters.
The couple also refused to share who Archie’s godparents are.
Meanwhile, the pair's fractured relationship with the Monarchy is to be laid bare in a new book called Finding Freedom by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand.
It is set to thrust the Royal Family into the spotlight once more and heap fresh embarrassment behind the fiercely private Palace walls.
A spokesman for the Sussexes told The Times: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not interviewed and did not contribute to Finding Freedom.”
Buckingham Palace declined to comment.
- Finding Freedom by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand is out August 11 and is being serialised by The Times