Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s 'Megxit' review with the Queen is "completely pointless" and "patronising," a royal expert claims.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced their bombshell decision to step down as senior members of the Royal Family on January 8, 2020.

A year on, the couple will sit down with the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William to discuss their future with The Firm.

It is at the review the couple’s decision is expected to become official, but royal author Sean Smith, who penned Meghan Misunderstood, believes the split is already "pretty official."

Mr Smith told the Daily Star he thinks a review of Meghan and Harry’s decision is completely "pointless" and "rather patronising."

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's 'Megxit' decision will be reviewed by Queen
A review of Meghan and Harry’s decision is completely "pointless" and "rather patronising," an expert has claimed

Speaking on the couple’s achievements over the last year, Mr Smith said the couple are "successful, grown adults" who can "do what they wish."

A review, he claims, suggests "go away for a year and we’ll have a look and see how you’re getting on later."

He said: "I think the review is completely pointless and rather patronising in a way.

"It’s kind of saying, oh you go away for a year and we have a look and see how you’re getting on.

"They’re successful, grown adults, they can do what they wish and if they’re financially independent too, then great, goodbye."

Queen speaks with staff during a visit to the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) at Porton Down science park on October 15, 2020
The Queen currently allows Meghan and Harry to use their titles and work alongside their patronages

Asked whether he thinks the Sandringham review will produce a more official split than the one that currently allows Meghan and Harry to use their titles and work alongside their patronages, Mr Smith insisted the decision is already "pretty official."

He said: "The split is pretty official already.

"What do people want a Royal decree? It's official."

Meanwhile, amid the first anniversary of the announcement, the Sussexes have settled into a new life in the US away from the monarchy, secured lucrative multimillion-pound deals with both Netflix and Spotify and established their Archewell foundation.

William, Harry, Meghan and Kate were previously dubbed the 'Fab Four'
William, Harry, Meghan and Kate were previously dubbed the 'Fab Four'

But the couple have also experienced heartache, with Meghan revealing in a newspaper article in November that she had suffered a miscarriage in the summer, writing: "I knew, as I clutched my firstborn child, that I was losing my second."

A source said: "After a very turbulent 12 months for everyone in the world and massive changes of moving country and all the rest of it, they have also been very vocal about what they have gone through in their own personal life.

"They have a house. They have created the financial independence that they were after.

"They have launched their organisation and their organisation is under way doing amazing things already.

"And so I think that they are in a very good place."