A terrified mum frantically fled her burning home completely naked as a fire raged whilst she was in the shower.

The families home started to go up in flames after an electric heater sparked a dramatic blaze in Birmingham.

A quick-thinking mum escaped out the back door of her home as the front entrance was engulfed, BirminghamLive reported.

Her three children, aged four, 12, and 14, waited anxiously as they feared their mum had been killed in the inferno.

They were forced to stay with friends before accepting temporary accommodation after the fire, which broke out on Tuesday, January 5.

The mum, who asked not to be named, had started using an electric heater after her boiler broke.

Birmingham fire
The property was badly damaged by the blaze

She told the paper: "I was in the shower and my son started screaming because there was smoke in the house.

"He opened my bedroom door and the room was on fire. I was naked, the neighbour had to throw some blankets to me.

"At first, because the fire was at the front door, I had to be at the back, the children were screaming because they thought I was dead as I was still inside."

A total of 10 firefighters arrived to tackle the blaze but found it had been extinguished.

The mum’s bed, mattress and all her belongings were destroyed in the fire, along with some of her children’s stuff.

Birmingham fire
Her housing provider has now apologised

She had previously complained that the flat was humid and damp, for which her housing provider has now apologised.

West Midlands Fire Service said the blaze was sparked by the heater being too close to the bed, with other residents warned of such dangers.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: "The fire had been contained to just one room of the property and was caused by an electric heater placed close to the bed.

"This serves as a stark reminder of the fire risk caused by placing portable heaters too close to combustible materials such as beds, clothes, curtains and boxes.

"During these cold winter months, especially with people spending more time at home during the pandemic, households should be extra careful when using portable heaters and ensure they have working smoke alarms."