The Queen has carried out her first public engagement outside a Royal residence since the coronavirus pandemic began in March.

Her Majesty hasn’t appeared in public in a formal setting for seven months, but joined Prince William at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory on Thursday October 15.

The 94-year-old arrived by helicopter as the Duke of Cambridge traveled to Salisbury by car.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince William were then introduced to top UK scientists who are providing support to the government in response to the outbreak.

A Buckingham Palace source said extra safety precautions had been taken prior to the Queen's arrival and said the laboratory worked closely with the palace.

The 94-year-old arrived by helicopter as the Duke of Cambridge traveled to Salisbury by car

The Queen and William were being greeted by Dstl's chief executive Gary Aitkenhead for a tour of the Energetics Enclosure.

Mr Aitkenhead showed the monarch a £30 million state-of-the-art Energetics Analysis Centre to meet counter-terrorism staff and see a demonstration of a forensic explosives investigation.

The Queen and William were being greeted by Dstl's chief executive Gary Aitkenhead for a tour of the Energetics Enclosure

Her Majesty also saw displays of weaponry and tactics used in counter-intelligence and met staff involved in the respond to the 2018 Russian Novichok poisoning attack in 2018.

Russian intelligence has been accused of being behind the attempted nerve agent assassination of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury.

Her Majesty also saw displays of weaponry and tactics used in counter-intelligence

Dawn Sturgess and her partner Charlie Rowley fell ill in nearby Amesbury months after the attack, and Ms Sturgess later died after coming into contact with a perfume bottle believed to be linked to the case.

It comes as Prince William is tipped to takeover prince Harry beloved Captain General of the Royal Marines role after the Duke of Sussex was stripping of his titles and appointments in the Megxit fallout.

A Buckingham Palace source said extra safety precautions had been taken prior to the Queen's arrival

Richard Palmer, royal correspondent at the Daily Express, tweeted: "It will undoubtedly be a blow to him Harry if this happens.

"The Sussexes’ intervention in the US presidential election, no matter how carefully worded, was deemed by palace officials to have crossed a line.

"It’s likely to have effects."