A son looked out his bedroom window in horror to see that his father had set himself on fire in his garden shed.
Shahir Ali ran to his dad Ahmed's aid and dialled 999, but Mr Ali had suffered such extensive burns that he died in hospital five days later, an inquest heard.
Mr Ali, 54, was in his shed on December 12, 2019, when the fire broke out at around 1.15pm.
A police report said he was a 'well established university professor who had moved to the UK'.
It added: "He was struggling with depression and alcoholism. It seems his son had dropped a friend off at the train station that day and returned home.
"He went to bed but was woken by screaming from the garden and he looked out to see his father on fire.
"He ran out and threw water over him and then went upstairs to call an ambulance. Mr Ali walked himself up to that room.
"The emergency services attended soon afterwards."
Gloucestershire senior coroner Katy Skerrett said Mr Ali was taken to Southmead Hospital in Bristol but then transferred to a specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, Essex the following day.
He sadly died on December 17.
Medical reports said Mr Ali, of Rookery Road, Innsworth, Gloucester, suffered 69 per cent burns to his body surface.
It's believed that an accelerant, possibly petrol, had been used to ignite the fire.
Despite hospital treatment he suffered multiple organ failure and could not be saved.
Police said they were satisfied no-one was involved in the starting of the fire and there were no suspicious circumstances.
A fire investigator's report ruled out all possibilities for the ignition of the fire expect that it was started by Mr Ali himself.
Medical evidence stated Mr Ali had taken an overdose last year and that he was suffering from depression, diabetes, asthma, hypertension and alcohol dependency. It also said he was 'struggling' following a separation from his wife.
The coroner recorded Mr Ali's dead as a suicide, and had intended to take his own life.
For emotional support, you can call the Samaritans 24-hour helpline on 116 123, email [email protected], visit a Samaritans branch in person or go to the Samaritans website.