The governor of Beirut says up to 300,000 people have been made homeless by yesterday's explosion.
At 6:08pm on Tuesday evening the port of Lebanon's capital was destroyed by two enormous blasts that saw a shockwave rattle through the city.
Shocking footage taken by witnesses showed an enormous cloud of dust and smoke as well as huge orange flames.
At least 100 people died in the disaster and more than 4,000 people were injured, with Red Cross Lebanon expected the death toll to keep rising.
More than half the city was damaged in the port blast with the total cost likely to exceed $3 billion (£760 million), governor Marwan Abboud told media.
The city itself covers an area of 19.8 km 2 , while the wide metropolitan area covers 67km 2 .
Mr Abboud also said an estimated 300,000 people have been rendered homeless after their houses were destroyed, up from an earlier estimate of about 250,000.
If correct, that's almost the total population of Beirut's city centre where approximately 361,000 people live. The population of Beirut's wider metropolitan area is believed to be about 2.2 million.
It's unclear whether Mr Abboud is including homes with reparable damage in the total, or just those that have been completely obliterated.
Nations around the world have pledged to send aid to Lebanon to help with relief efforts.
Yesterday Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted: "The pictures and videos from Beirut tonight are shocking. All of my thoughts and prayers are with those caught up in this terrible incident.
"The UK is ready to provide support in any way we can, including to those British nationals affected."
The cause of the explosion remains unconfirmed, although authorities have blamed an enormous supply of ammonium nitrate for the explosion that sent a shockwave through the city.
In a televised speech, Prime Minister Hassan Diab implied someone was to blame for the blast at the "dangerous warehouse", adding "those responsible will pay the price".
President Michel Aoun said that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, used in fertilisers and bombs, had been stored for six years at the port without safety measures, which he called "unacceptable".