A bestselling Australian author posted heartbreaking social media tributes to her dead daughter before police charged her with the baby's death.

Fiori Giovanni, 35, is a motivational speaker, media personality and author of more than 30 self help books including Defy Your Destiny and Get Over Anxiety.

In July this year she shared videos to social media telling fans her seven-month-old daughter Ilen had died just days before.

"I tragically lost my little girl," Giovanni said in the videos.

"No, I am not ready to talk about it yet, as it is still incredibly fresh. We are still trying to go through it as a family."

She added: "Every time I try to it feels like a thousands knives are stabbing my chest.

Giovanni published videos to social media speaking about her grief at Ilen's death

"I welcome the pain, I welcome the mourning, I welcome the roller coaster ride and I welcome the time it needs to take."

She also posted family photos of herself, her partner and their two children.

On Wednesday it was revealed, after an unsuccessful request for name suppression, that Giovanni has been charged with one count of child homicide on the basis of criminal negligence.

Police allege Giovanni left her daughter and two-year-old son in a bath unattended in her Melbourne apartment on July 18. When she returned, baby Ilen was unresponsive.

Investigations are continuing into the circumstances surrounding Ilen's death. The charge against Giovanni would have been manslaughter if not for the baby's age, police documents say.

Investigations are continuing into the circumstances surrounding Ilen's death

Giovanni chose not to appear at Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday, where her lawyer Adrian Lewin said Ilen's death was not the result of an intentional act.

He argued his client's name shouldn't be published because some of her previous writing about Australia's African community had seen her receive "hate mail".

"There are elements in the community that have an inherent dislike for the views that she has espoused," he said, adding that those who already didn't like Giovanni could be "inflamed" by the homicide charge and threaten her safety.

But magistrate Mia Stylianou said she wasn't satisfied that a name suppression order was warranted.

Giovanni has been granted bail and will make her next court appearance in November.

As a teenager she narrowly escaped becoming a child bride in Eritrea, and has written extensively about her experience.

Giovanni did not appear at Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday
Giovanni did not appear at Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday

"I thought I had been through the worst type of pain the world has to offer," she said in one of the videos posted following Ilen's death.

"But I'm quickly realising that the kind of pain that comes from losing a child is a different kind of pain.

"It's something that takes a piece of you and I don't think you ever get it back. It is something that I have never felt before."