A hopeless romantic messed up his proposal by setting fire to his own flat.

Albert Ndreu used 100 tealights to spell out the words “Marry Me” on the floor and arranged 60 balloons in the room.

He then went to go and pick up his girlfriend Valerija Madevic so he could surprise her, but leaving the flames unattended proved to be a mistake.

When the pair returned home to their property in Sheffield, Yorkshire, they saw smoke billowing from it.

Three fire crews rushed to the scene to put out the flames, but Albert was undeterred and got down on one knee in the charred room and asked the love of his life if she would marry him.

Thankfully, the dramatic scene didn’t put Valerija off as she said the all-important “yes”.

Albert Ndreu spent four hours getting the room ready for Valeria

Albert said: "I was planning the proposal for over two weeks.

“I kept struggling to find the right thing to do to mark the special moment.

"I wanted to do something from my heart even if it didn't go exactly as planned.

"Valerija always says the most important thing is the small gestures every day - but I wanted to do something special for the proposal.

"I bought the most important thing, which was the ring, and I just needed to make sure the day was perfect.”

Leaving the candles unattended caused the flat to go up in flames
The flat is completely wrecked

Of all the things that Albert worried could go wrong, he never expected to find his home left in ashes.

He said: "I put balloons and candles everywhere, I had to go all out.

"I wanted to say something like she was the light of my heart, but maybe that was too much light.

"I was so nervous, this was the first time I have ever proposed and I hope it will be the last.

"I was so worried about everything going wrong I never imagined I could set the house on fire.”

Albert went ahead with the proposal – and Valerija said yes!

Valerija, who has been dating Albert for a year after meeting him on a dating app, was understandably “shocked” by the fire.

She said: "We walked up the stairs to the flat and there was smoke everywhere, I told him to call the firefighters because our house was on fire.

"I was in total shock, I was shaking because it looked like it was really bad."

Thankfully, her mood lifted when she walked down stairs and found her partner on one knee.

She added: "He pulled out a box from his pocket and I was just speechless.

"He said that he messed up - our house was literally in flames - but asked me if I would marry him. And I said yes."

Thankfully, fire crews were able to contain the fire

Even though the proposal didn’t go to plan, Albert said it will go down in history.

He said: “It will always be an unforgettable day for us and a story which will be amazing to tell our children."

The romantic, who has temporarily moved in with his cousin while his flat is being repaired, hopes his story will deter others from copying his proposal.

He added: "I hope this serves as a warning for others that maybe there is such a thing as too much love, or too many candles."

The couple have moved in with Albert's cousin while the flat is being repaired

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service echoed this warning.

On Facebook, they responded: "So, here's the deal. Look closely at these photos and you'll see lots of burnt out tea lights. Hundreds of them.

"These were lit by a chap in his Sheffield flat, as he prepared to pop the question to his girlfriend. Balloons were up and wine glasses were at the ready.

"However, after going round the corner to collect his fiancee-to-be, ready for the romantic moment, he came back to find the flat on fire and three fire engines on the way.

"Fortunately this was dealt with quickly by our crews and nobody was injured.

"The best news? She still said YES."