Love Island star Zara Holland has issued a grovelling apology to the people of Barbados after breaking quarantine rules in a bid to flee the island when her boyfriend tested positive for coronavirus.
The 25-year-old former Miss Great Britain was reportedly left in floods of tears after she and her boyfriend Elliott Love, 30, were both detained earlier this week.
It was alleged that the pair had tried to flee the country after Elliott had tested positive for Covid-19 but were instead taken to a quarantine facility Paragon Military Base.
Zara claims her decision to break the island's strict coronavirus rules had been a "massive mix-up and misunderstanding".
A statement on behalf of the model published by Barbados Today news website said: "I firstly want to apologise to the entire country of Barbados for what has been a massive mix up and misunderstanding during my most recent stay.
"I am currently working with the local authorities to rectify any issues on my part and will issue an update and full statement which I think is the only right thing to do to the Government and citizens of Barbados."
It continued: "I have been a guest of this lovely island in excess of 20 years and would never do anything to jeopardise an entire nation that I have nothing but love and respect for and which has treated me as a family."
Zara was said to be "distressed" as she awaited two negative tests results before she was released from custody.
After receiving Elliot's result on Tuesday, they are said to have been given red wristbands, handed out by hotels for guests who have not yet tested negative for the virus, but allegedly cut them off and tried to make their way to the airport in a taxi.
The Daily Nation in Barbados reported on Friday: "Sources told the Daily Nation that the high-profile couple were taken into police custody and then transported to the quarantine [facility] at Harrison Point, St Lucy.
"When released, they could face charges of breaching the quarantine protocol which carry a $50,000 [£18,000] fine, imprisonment for a year or both."
The couple, who have been dating for four years, arrived in Barbados on Sunday.
Zara has since been released after testing negative for a second time for the virus, but Elliot remains at the facility, Barbados Today reported.
Daily Star Online has contacted Zara' rep for a comment.
Zara took part in the second series of ITV2 dating show Love Island back in 2016.
While on the show she had sex with contestant Alex Bowen and was was subsequently stripped of her Miss Great Britain title.
In a statement issued at the time, Miss Great Britain organisers said: "We feel we have no choice but to make this decision under the current circumstances.
"Although Miss Great Britain is the oldest pageant system in the UK, we pride ourselves on promoting the positivity of pageants in modern society and this includes the promotion of a strong, positive, female role model in our winners."