Feel like you’re constantly running out of charge on your phone?
You’re not alone, and it turns out there are 22 dodgy apps that could be responsible for draining your battery life.
Android phone owners are now being warned about the “clickfraud” apps, which as disguised as normal apps on the Google Play Store.
Behind the scenes they are performing criminal actions, draining your battery life and fraudulently increase your phone bill.
Security company Sophos has detected 22 apps which have been downloaded a whopping 22 million times.
The developers of the apps trick people into downloading malware through “invisible ads”, which are in a hidden browser window.
The malware simulates a user interacting with the ad, which makes it think the interaction was legitimate.
This means the dodgy apps are making money from you – and you may not even know about it.
Researchers explained: “From the user’s perspective, these apps drain their phone’s battery and may cause data overages as the apps are constantly running and communicating with servers in the background.”
For normal users it can be very tricky to spot that something isn’t right, without technical knowledge.
So do yourself a favour and check if you have any of them downloaded onto your phone.
One of them is a flashlight app called Sparkle FlashLight that was downloaded a massive 1million times before being taken down.
Google has removed the apps from the Store, but if they remain installed on devices they can still be dangerous.
Here is the list of 22 apps that you must delete immediately:
- Sparkle FlashLight – com.sparkle.flashlight
- Snake Attack – com.mobilebt.snakefight
- Math Solver – com.mobilebt.mathsolver
- ShapeSorter – com.mobilebt.shapesorter
- Tak A Trip – com.takatrip.android
- Magnifeye – com.magnifeye.android
- Join Up – com.pesrepi.joinup
- Zombie Killer – com.pesrepi.zombiekiller
- Space Rocket – com.pesrepi.spacerocket
- Neon Pong – com.pesrepi.neonpong
- Just Flashlight – app.mobile.justflashlight
- Table Soccer – com.mobile.tablesoccer
- Cliff Diver – com.mobile.cliffdiver
- Box Stack – com.mobile.boxstack
- Jelly Slice – net.kanmobi.jellyslice
- AK Blackjack – com.maragona.akblackjack
- Color Tiles – com.maragona.colortiles
- Animal Match – com.beacon.animalmatch
- Roulette Mania – com.beacon.roulettemania
- HexaFall – com.atry.hexafall
- HexaBlocks – com.atry.hexablocks
- PairZap – com.atry.pairzap