Despite his best efforts, the 32-year-old The Wanter star failed to convince the judges to keep him in the competition.
Viewers were shocked that Max was in the dance off against EastEnders star Maisie Smith, who danced again with partner Gorka Márquez.
Max danced for the final time with his partner Dianne Buswell, 31, and viewers were gutted as it was announced he was being booted off the BBC programme.
One viewer tweeted: "Gutted Max has gone, he didn’t deserve to go at all."
While another wrote: "Sad to see Max and Diane go but it was a tough choice."
A third added: "Wrong couple saved, Max and Dianne far better."
"Gutted for Max and Diane, definitely don't think that bottom two was deserved", said a fourth.
Max is the third celebrity to be sent home in the results show after politician Jacqui Smith and American football star Jason Bell.
It was announced earlier this week that former boxer Nicola Adams left the show after her partner Katya Jones tested positive for Covid-19.
The Olympic gold medallist said: "I'm absolutely devastated my Strictly journey has come to an end so soon."
She continued: "I had so much more to give and so many people to win this for! But I just want to say a huge thank you to Katya for being the best dance partner anyone could ask for.
"I'm gutted to be out of the competition but in these unprecedented times and as frustrating as it is, the Covid measures in place are to keep everyone safe, and I'm doing what I can to help."
The show had several changes this week as judge Motsi Mabuse was also absent, and was replaced by professional dancer Anton du Beke.
She had to urgently fly home to Germany after her dance school was broken into, which means she has to self-isolate for two weeks.
However, she made a brief appearance on the show on Saturday as she chatted to the judges and presenters via live link.
Her replacement for next week is yet to be confirmed.
Strictly continues next Saturday on ITV.